Monday, March 21, 2011

Alfonsina Storni

I decided to focus on the poem Squares and Angles because at first glance, this one stuck out to me. I noticed a lot of repetition within the opening lines and wondered why. Only turning the page and finishing the poem did I have an idea, and understanding, I'm not sure of what. But it starts with an idea of conformity with the line, "Squares, squares, squares/Houses in a row./ People now have square souls,/ Ideas in a row". This idea of conformity seems almost too true when it comes to any sense of how conformity works. You want everyone to be the same, respond the same, even look the same. It is an odd little poem, Squares and Angles, but it seems as if the speaker of the poem is the one trying to rebel against this. The speaker could even possibly resemble Storni herself, as she was the first woman writer excepted in Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment